BreachExchange mailing list archives

FL: People's Personal Information Up for Bid at Auction

From: kirniki <kirniki () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 16:13:13 -0400

http://www.wjhg.com/news/headlines/104308849.html?ref=849

Port St. Joe - An auction at the Gulf Pines Hospital in Port St. Joe
has former employees worried about a HIPAA law violation and possibly
even identity theft. One past employee says old files were still in
the hospital, and people could have walked away with them after the
auction last week.

Employees are frustrated because they cannot get in the hospital to
secure their files. One employee, Barbara Weeks said there is a lot of
personal information someone could have gotten such as driver's
license and social security numbers.

"They have all of our personal information and security, drivers
license, all of our years of work and all the information," Weeks
said.

One man managed to get the old emergency room log at the auction of
old emergency room visits.

There is a sign on the hospital door that says all medical records
have been removed from the building, but employee records, the
emergency room logs and other information is just as important Weeks
said. Another employee said shes worried about having her identity
stolen.

[..]