BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: [Dataloss] Study: About One-Fifth ofBreached Entities Were PCI-Compliant

From: "Al" <macwheel99 () wowway com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 18:05:21 -0500

Thanks for corrections to my understandings.
It is evident that we are talking about multiple reports and data sets, from
which different conclusions may be drawn.

I have not looked at ALL the Verizon reports, but I think it was last year
they said that PCI was NOT the purpose of the report, it was to analyze how
the places got breached, which they had insider data on.  The PCI
perspective there was kind of an after-thought, because of high public
interest in that dimension.  That's what I meant by "secondarily."

There's a lot of places at risk of breaches, with absolutely no obligation
to have PCI, because they do not handle credit card data.  The VA for
example.  Social Security #s on every USA veteran got breached.  PCI not
relevant.  Whose data set is that in?  Inspector General for that Agency.

There's places that got breached in recent years, in my community, which I
have knowledge of, which never made it into the news media, and PCI not
required.  At the time of the breaches, there was no legal requirement to
report the incident, except for the last one on this list.
*       State of Indiana Tax System Hacked.  I found out because the
quarterly filings of data and tax $ from my employer was one of the data
sets and $ which got absconded.
*       An insurance company whose medical records got breached.  I found
out because MY records included in being accessed by unknown volume of 3rd
parties, which they believe could include any of their customers, and anyone
who breached any of them.
*       A series of hacking incidents where I have had running battles with
management regarding our security policies, and am extremely constrained in
what I may say about situation.  We are operating with minimum stuff of each
OS.  Security Logs are a pain to decipher by IT people, let alone
non-technical management. Security consultants challenged some of my
interpretations, I showed them evidence, then they told management that my
interpretations not only correct, situation worse than I had painted due to
confluence of multiple risks.  I had reported them individually.
Consultants confirmed each and explained combination impact.
*       I downloaded an FBI annual report, then later was notified by CSI.
Sorry, the info they asked from me, to register for downloads, that info got
breached.
*       A distributor of goods to grocery chains.  I found out because the
IT leadership involved gave a "lessons learned" seminar that I attended.
Their financial records for payroll and bank accounts were drained.  The FBI
did apprehend a mule.  They had called the FBI because the names of
employees were being used in distant cities to make substantial withdrawals.
*       There was also a test breach, where the federal gov hacked into
local public utility company, then blasted the company for not reporting the
hack promptly.  I learned about that from a similar "lessons learned"
seminar at a local business computer association, for IT people.  This was
the ONLY local breach I am aware of where there was ANY obligation to report
to any government authority.

We got to see in Verizon reports that some places took what most people
would consider reasonable minimum precautions such as anti-virus, firewall,
regularly updated, encryption, internal reviews to catch violations, etc.
and they still got breached.  We also got to see that some breached places
had not taken such minimum precautions.  There was also statistics on HOW
the breach got in ... what kinds of attacks most prevalent.

There are confidentiality agreements, where a place that got breached is not
going to let investigators go public with who they are, and how they screwed
up, unless there's court order demanding they do so, because it just opens
the door to more lawsuits.

I also recall that one of the breaches to a retailer occurred on the exact
same day the PCI auditors were on the premises, giving the retailer a
passing grade.  The PCI auditors did not catch it.  It was a case of back
tracking a breach & finding out when it happened.  I don't think we found
out in that case what company the PCI auditors were from, or if any auditors
would be likely to do any different.

Cases reported to Secret Service or FBI tend to be distorted sub-set, where
amount of $ is considerable documented, certain crimes suspected in first
place.

-
Al Mac