BreachExchange mailing list archives

US DOJ report on Identity Theft

From: Henry Brown <hbrown () knology net>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 04:42:47 -0500

http://www.justice.gov/oig/reports/plus/a1021.pdf
Results in Brief

Overall we found that DOJ components responsible for combating identity
theft have undertaken various efforts to fight this widespread crime.
Several of the initiatives were in response to recommendations made by
the President’s Task Force, while others were undertaken by the
components before the Task Force was established. Although some of these
efforts have had success, in other instances the components did not
address the recommendations of the President’s Task Force. We also found
that to some degree identity theft initiatives have faded as priorities.
In addition, we found that DOJ has not developed a coordinated plan to
combat identity theft separate from the recommendations of the
President’s Task Force. Representatives from every DOJ component
involved in this review told us that they have not received guidance
from DOJ’s leadership since the Task Force concluded its work. Further,
DOJ did not assign any person or office with the responsibility to
coordinate DOJ’s efforts to combat identity theft and to ensure that DOJ
components further implement the recommendations of the President’s Task
Force where appropriate. We believe the DOJ needs to ensure that its
efforts to combat identity theft are coordinated and are given
sufficient priority.

Related news story
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/03/30/identity.theft/index.html