BreachExchange mailing list archives

MN: Stillwater Restaurant Linked To Identity Thefts

From: kirniki <kirniki () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 21:36:41 -0400

http://wcco.com/local/stillwater.restaurant.linked.2.1617918.html

(WCCO) Stillwater police are investigating an increase in identity
thefts in their city.

Police said they have received about 80 complaints of victims' whose
credit cards have been compromised.

So far, they have connected the scam to cards used at a long-time
family restaurant in the community.

The owner of the Mad Capper Saloon & Eatery has been cooperating with
police and said he is frustrated that somehow his 30-year-old business
is somehow linked to identity theft.

As police investigate the case, Jeff Chilson, the restaurant's owner,
has taken steps to make sure his customers are protected.

"We've looked into our credit card processing. We've looked into our
software program -- our routers in the building," said Chilson. "We've
scanned everything -- combed it with a fine tooth comb and we can't
find anything off of it, so its frustrating."

[..]