BreachExchange mailing list archives

Citi Apologizes for Envelope Gaffe

From: kirniki <kirniki () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 10:51:04 -0500

http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/industries/finance/citi-apologizes-social-security-gaffe/

About 600,000 Citigroup (C: 3.3789, -0.0611, -1.78%) customers got a
shock earlier this month when they received their annual tax documents
- with their Social Security numbers printed on the outside of the
envelope.

A Citi spokesman blamed a processing error for the glitch and said it
has already been fixed. The bank received about 50 calls from clients
concerned about the mistake, but so far there have been no reports of
problems resulting from the errant information, the spokesman said.

“The digits were not identified as a Social Security number, and they
were printed at the lower edge of the mailing envelope with other
numbers and letters that together resembled a mail routing number,” a
statement from the company said. “We believe there is little or no
risk to our customers. The error has been corrected for all future
mailings.”
[..]