BreachExchange mailing list archives

Security breach reported by Internet trading site collective2.com

From: kirniki <kirniki () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 13:31:20 -0500

http://www.investmentnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091230/FREE/912309990/1035/TECHNOLOGY

Users of the do-it-yourself trading site collective2.com received an
“urgent” e-mail at a few minutes past noon Wednesday notifying them
that the company's computer database had been breached by a hacker and
that all users should log in to change their passwords immediately.

That e-mail, from Collective2 LLC founder Matthew Klein, stated that
the information accessed by the hacker included names, e-mail
addresses, passwords and credit card information.

In addition, the e-mail went on to state: “We have contacted federal
and state law enforcement authorities, who we hope will track down and
prosecute the person responsible. More important: we have changed our
database security, locked down our servers and altered our website in
order to prevent similar attacks. We are also notifying the three
credit bureaus — Equifax, Experian and TransUnion — of the breach.”

[..]