BreachExchange mailing list archives

News: Fringe Incidents

From: David Shettler <dave () opensecurityfoundation org>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 16:33:39 -0400

http://datalossdb.org/incident_highlights/46-fringe-incidents

Since the database's inception, we have added incidents based on
specific criteria and omitted incidents that didn't quite fit that
criteria. The criteria has traditionally been:

  * An incident must have lost one or more of the following data types:
      - Social Security or national ID number
      - Credit card number
      - Bank account number
      - Medical record
      - Financial account number
  * AND the number of records lost/stolen/missing must be greater than 10,
  * AND the data lost must have had a steward organization.

The last point is often a point of confusion. For instance, three gas
stations in a town attacked by skimmers fall into a grey area, and
wouldn't normally be added to the database, as there is no cut and dry
identifiable steward; we can't place responsibility for the loss on
any one entity with full confidence. You could blame the gas stations
themselves for not having safeguards, but the responsibility falls in
a grey area in terms of applicable prevention. If it turned out that
an employee installed the skimmers, then it would fit our criteria and
would be cataloged as an incidence of Fraud/Social Engineering. A
laptop stolen out of a car, however, is the responsibility of the
owner of the laptop to safeguard it. There really is no grey area, as
there is an entire industry built around guarding portable devices,
and laws in place around the world designating owner responsibility.

Our criteria has helped us keep a consistent, relevant data-set. On
the other hand, our criteria has also forced us to reject interesting
and possibly relevant incidents; incidents that many who follow the
project would probably want to know about. The criteria has also made
us prone to many internal debates, and occasional arguments over
applicability. One thing we mostly agree on, however, is that doing
nothing with these incidents that we and our volunteers have drudged
up is a waste of energy. We want to keep that data, but not
necessarily have these 'fringe' incidents impact charts and graphs
generated on the website or impact user-derived statistics generated
via downloads of the data-set.

As a result, we've decided to create a new category of incidents:
"Fringe" incidents. You won't see these fringe incidents in a search
unless you specifically check the box to see them. They won't show up
in our statistics graphs or our reports, and they won't be in most
data exports. Instead, we'll make separate data exports if you want to
see that data. We'll still tweet these fringe incidents as they tend
to be of some interest to followers.

Examples of "Fringe" incidents might include data loss incidents with
fewer than 10 people affected, or data loss incidents where the data
type might be more or less directory (name, address, phone number)
information.

Some incidents currently in the database are likely to be moved over
to fringe since we have on occasion bypassed our own criteria when a
particular incident seemed egregious enough. We will no longer have to
do that going forward, which should facilitate moderation of user
submissions (since we won't have to agonize over saying 'no' as much
as we used to).

We'll be clearing out our queue over the next few days and adding more
incidents as 'Fringe'. Here are some links related to this endeavor:

http://datalossdb.org/fringe/latest - Latest Fringe Incidents
http://datalossdb.org/fringe/largest - Largest Fringe Incidents
http://datalossdb.org/fringe/updated - Most Recently Updated Fringe Incidents

--