BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: [Dataloss] Has "Data Loss" Jumped The Shark?

From: Jon Turner <jjturner () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 19:55:31 +0000

I don't think it has yet, just out from the UK Information Commissioner;
Data loss incidents double in a year admits Information Commissioner
http://www.documentmanagementnews.com/the-news/general-news/41-general-news/155-data-loss-incidents-double-in-a-year-admits-information-commissioner.html

The UK Information Commissioner reports there were almost double the number
of data loss incidents in the last 12 months when compared to the previous
year.

infrastructure software firm Software AG, the Information Commissioner said
there were 356 data loss incidents reported to its organisation, compared to
190 for the previous 12 months.

Under law, firms suffering a data loss are now obliged to report it to the
Commissioner. The increase reported to the Commissioner is worrying
considering the publicity given to previous high profile data loss incidents
like the HM Revenue & Customs data disk
loss<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7104368.stm>,
which exposed the personal details of 25m people.

The Commissioner may say the reporting regime is now working, when taking
into account that many data loss incidents may have previously gone
unreported. Although others will conclude that organisations have still not
learned their lesson over the importance of data security.

"These figures should send shivers down the spine of any self- respecting IT
security professional, said Andy Cordial, managing director of Origin
Storage <http://www.originstorage.com/>.

He said, "The figures show that 127 devices such as laptops were stolen and
71 incidents involved memory sticks, CDs and other data storage devices.
And, incredibly, despite the infamous high-profile HMRC disk loss incident
via a courier in March 2007, the data reveals that there were 24 incidents
of data lost in transit via courier services in the year to September 2009."