BreachExchange mailing list archives

Data breaches still lognormal

From: Luther Martin <martin () voltage com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 18:12:56 -0800

Earlier this year, I wrote some stuff (like this, for example
http://www.csoonline.com/article/501584/Data_Breaches_Patterns_and_Their_Implications?page=1) that mentioned how the
size of data breaches seems to follow a lognormal distribution - the size of breaches doesn't fit a normal or bell
curve, but the logarithm of the size of breaches does.

This year isn't over yet, but the last time I looked at this year's data, the same thing still held. The past three
years had a mean of about 3.5 and a standard deviation of about 1.2. So far this year it looks about the same, with a
mean of about 3.3 and a standard deviation of about 1.2. The lognormal model seems to fit the data fairly well, so the
predictions that it makes about things like what fraction of breaches will expose 1 million of more records, etc., are
fairly accurate.

I'll do a more careful analysis next year, after more data from 2009 is available.

Analysis like this wouldn't be possible without excellent the work that the OSF people are doing, of course.