BreachExchange mailing list archives

CA: Thousand of patients warned about theft of personal information

From: lyger <lyger () attrition org>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 13:45:00 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.bakersfieldnow.com/news/investigations/60472497.html

Thousands of patients at a Kern County health clinic have been warned
their personal information could have been stolen.

A break-in happened at the Sagebrush Medical Plaza in July, and Kern
Medical Center officials have notified 31,000 patients to take precautions
against possible identity theft.

But, some patients complain the warning came nearly two months after the
information could have been compromised, and they're not getting help the
county promised.

"I had some negative credit reporting on my credit report," Marvin Brown
said. He recently got a letter from a company in a small Idaho town saying
he owes them money. "I've never been to Idaho," he said.

[...]