BreachExchange mailing list archives

Study Shows Finance, Education, Healthcare, and Government Lose Sensitive Personal Data Differently

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 19:11:14 +0000 (UTC)

http://web.interhack.com/news/n2009/taxonomy

Study Shows Finance, Education, Healthcare, and Government Lose Sensitive
Personal Data Differently

APRIL 23, 2009Proposing a taxonomy for classifying data loss incidents
with public information, Interhack has examined publicized data breaches
by type and industry and found significant results for Finance, Education,
Public Administration, and Health Care.
We believe we can make a science of finding likelihood and helping
defenses to be properly focused.Matthew Curtin, Founder Interhack

We discovered a statistically significant distinction between the types of
breaches that occur in several of the industry sectors. Matthew Curtin,
founder of Interhack and co-author of the study said. Curtin and Interhack
Senior Analyst Lee Ayres created the taxonomy for the hierarchical
classification of data losses and then applied it to a set of data
breaches accumulated by the Identity Theft Resource Center. Curtin and
Ayres classified breach events according to industry sector using the 2002
North American Industry Classification System (NAICS).

The Health Care and Social Assistance sector reported a larger than
average proportion of lost and stolen computing hardware, but reported an
unusually low proportion of compromised hosts.  Educational Services
reported a disproportionally large number of compromised hosts, while
insider conduct and lost and stolen hardware were well below the
proportion common to the set as a whole. Public Administration's
proportion of compromised host reports was below average, but their
proportion of processing errors was well above the norm. The Finance and
Insurance sector experienced the smallest overall proportion of processing
errors, but the highest proportion of insider misconduct. Other sectors
showed no statistically significant difference from the average, either
due to a true lack of variance, or due to an insignificant number of
samples for the statistical tests being used.

The taxonomy and data breach study have many applications.  For one,
finding likelihood of security incidents has been a sort of guessing game
for information security practitioners.  We believe we can make a science
of finding likelihood and helping defenses to be properly focused, Curtin
said.  We have the analytical tools, and we see promise in the approach.

Curtin unveils the taxonomy and data breach study at RSA Conference 2009
in San Fransisco, California on April 23 in the presentation Using Science
to Battle Data Loss: Analyzing Breaches by Type and Industry.

[..]