BreachExchange mailing list archives

Diary of a Data Breach Investigation

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 19:06:18 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.cio.com/article/487728/Diary_of_a_Data_Breach_Investigation

By Anonymous
Wed, April 01, 2009  CSO  Monday

When the CISO asks to speak to you with that look on his face, you know
the news isn't good. We were contacted by one of our third-party vendors,
whom we had hired to do analysis on our website traffic.

It appears that we have been passing sensitive information to them over
the Internet. This sensitive information included data, such as customer
names, addresses and credit card information. Because we are a public
company, there are many regulatory guidelines that we have to follow like
Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) and the Payment Card Industry's (PCI) data security
standard.

Fortunately for us, our vendor has retained a copy of everything that we
have sent to them.

Unfortunately for us, it was six months of information totaling over a
terabyte.

[..]