BreachExchange mailing list archives

workers stealing data

From: Jon Turner <jjturner () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 19:03:01 +0000

*Six out of every 10 employees stole company data when they left their job
last year, said a study of US workers.*

The survey, conducted by the Ponemon Institute, said that so-called
malicious insiders use the information to get a new job, start their own
business or for revenge.

"They are making these judgements based out of fear and anxiety," the
Institute's Mike Spinney told BBC News.

"People are worried about their jobs and want to hedge their bets," he said.

"Our study showed that 59% of people will say 'I'm going to take something
of value with me when I go'."

The Ponemon Institute, a privacy and management research firm, surveyed 945
adults in the United States who were laid-off, fired or changed jobs in the
last 12 months.

Everyone that took part had access to proprietary information such as
customer data, contact lists, employee records, financial reports,
confidential business documents, software tools or other intellectual
property.