BreachExchange mailing list archives

usajobs.gov Compromised (due to Monster)

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 01:08:20 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.usajobs.gov/securityNotice.asp

Attention USAJOBS Users
As is the case with many companies that maintain large databases of
information, our technology provider (Monster), often is the target of
illegal attempts to access and extract information from its database. We
recently learned that the Monster database was illegally accessed and
certain contact and account data were taken, including user IDs and
passwords, email addresses, names, phone numbers, and some basic
demographic data. The information accessed does not include resumes. The
accessed information does not include - sensitive data such as social
security numbers or personal financial data.

As a further precaution, we want to remind you that an email address could
be used to target "phishing" emails. USAJOBS will never send an
unsolicited email asking you to confirm your username and password, nor
will Monster ask you to download any software, "tool" or "access
agreement" in order to use your USAJOBS account.

In order to help assure the security of your information, you may soon be
required to change your USAJOBS password upon logging onto the site.
Please follow the instructions on the site. We would also recommend you
proactively change your password yourself as an added precaution. We
regret any inconvenience this may cause you, but feel it is important that
you take these preventative measures.

We continue to devote significant resources to ensure USAJOBS (Monster)
has security controls in place to protect our infrastructure and
stakeholders information. We hope that these efforts are helpful, and
continue to allow users to defend themselves against similar attacks.

Mary Volz-Peacock
Program Director
USAJOBS