BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: Fringe: e-banking not yet secure

From: "Thomas Raef" <traef () ebasedsecurity com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 04:00:23 -0500

Security flaws plague majority of e-banking sites
http://www.finextra.com/fullstory.asp?id=18764

Over 75% of banking Web sites contain fundamental design flaws that could
put customers at risk from cyber thieves, according to a study (of 214 bank
web sites)conducted by researchers at the University of Michigan.

Tom Replies With:

I first saw this on Network World:
http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/30229?t51hb&nlhtsec=mr_072408&nladname=072408securityal
<http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/30229?t51hb&nlhtsec=mr_072408&nladname=072408securityal>

where it states: "Like with a lot of research, the results take a while to emerge. In this case, the researchers took a
look at web sites from 214 financial institutions back in 2006."

The results took awhile to emerge? 2 years? I found this article to be security fear mongers trying to get some backing
for more research. Does anyone still think that 214 financial institutions haven't changed their security in 2 years?
Or that their websites are still the same as they were back then?

I think someone got some grant money to conduct the research and was finally forced to cough up the results. Even 2
years later.