BreachExchange mailing list archives

Verizon SELLS 12500 unlisted phone numbers in Washington County PA

From: Henry Brown <hbrown () knology net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 08:13:58 -0500

http://www.herald-mail.com/?cmd=displaystory&story_id=195325

HAGERSTOWN - The unlisted telephone numbers of nearly 13,000 people were
printed in the Washington County Phone Book after Verizon inadvertently
sold the information to the phone book publisher, a Verizon spokesman said.

Harry Mitchell, Verizon director of media relations, said Friday that
Verizon was trying to determine how about 12,500 unlisted numbers and
addresses, primarily of Washington County residents, were printed in the
phone book published by Ogden Directories Inc.

"Verizon accepts responsibility," Mitchell said. "We certainly apologize
to those customers whose numbers were published. ... We're taking
accountability for that."

Mitchell said Verizon started calling customers Friday to tell them
about the mistake.

Verizon will change the published numbers for free and will for a
one-year period reimburse the $1.89 monthly cost of having an unlisted
number, Mitchell said.

Verizon acknowledged that the mistake was "big" but said it was isolated.

[...]