BreachExchange mailing list archives

ID theft probe in Southern California

From: Henry Brown <hbrown () knology net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 08:23:15 -0500

I.D. Theft Probe Focuses On O.C. Car Dealership

(CBS) ORANGE, Calif. Investigators carted away 350 boxes of business
records from an Orange car dealership as part of a probe into
allegations that loan applications contained stolen identity
information, an official said.

Orange County District Attorney's office spokeswoman Susan Schroeder
said it could take months to go through the materials, such as loan
records, computers and hard drives from Douglas Nissan of Orange.

The DA's office received complaints that "stolen ID was used to
facilitate loan documents," Schroeder said.

She said did not know if the allegations centered around individual
customers who "all happened to shop" at Douglas or if any workers were
involved.

As to the number of potential victims, Schroeder said, "It's just too
early to tell."

"Basically what happened is that (party) A would come in for a loan
document and fill it out with (party) B's information," she said.

The victim may never know about it unless something happens like a
default in payments, she said.

The investigation began three months ago when the DA's office realized
that a common thread in a rash of reports was Douglas Nissan, she said.

"We believe that thousands of applications possibly have stolen
identification," Schroeder told reporters. "We're in the beginning
process of the investigation and we'll be looking at this to determine
how many identities were stolen to process false applications."

http://cbs2.com/local/local_story_191030940.html