BreachExchange mailing list archives

TX: American pilots protest security breach on company Web site

From: MKEVHILL () aol com
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 23:02:19 EDT

_http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D8PSQQN80.html_
(http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D8PSQQN80.html)

Personal information including Social Security  numbers of more than 300
pilots and other employees at American Airlines,  including the chief executive,
was exposed on a company Web site, according to  the pilots' union.

The company said it determined that only pilots and union officials saw the
information on a password-protected internal site.
Union officials said that by searching the site for "AA" and "medical," the
roughly 200 results included a 2002 document with personal information on 315
current and former pilots and about 50 others, including CEO Gerard Arpey and
 his predecessor, Donald Carty.
Union President Ralph Hunter said he called Mark Burdette, the company's vice
 president of employee relations, to report the breach.
"I told him what his Social Security number was and where I got it," Hunter
said. "He agreed with me that we had a big problem."
American, a unit of AMR Corp., disabled the site's search function.
Mike Hill