BreachExchange mailing list archives

followup: Kaiser Letter

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 21:42:04 -0500 (EST)

http://attrition.org/dataloss/2006/11/kais01.html

This is the letter sent out, presumably to ~ 38,000 people. Typos are my
own.

--

November 13, 2006

Dear [name],

I am writing to inform you that a laptop computer was stolen from the
trunk of an employee's automabile on October 4, 2006 that contained
information about you. The employee reported the theft to the police and
Kaiser Permanente is cooperating with their investigation.

While we believe the risk is limited, there is a possibility that the
information on the stolen device could be accessed. Therefore we wanted
you to know what information was on it. The laptop device contained your
name, medical record number, age, date of birth, sex, indicators related
to industry standard health plan performance measures, information about
your deductibles and co-pays, and your primary care provider's name.
[bold]Your Social Security number was _not_ included in your
information.[/bold]

Kaiser Permanente respects your right to file a complaint. If you have any
questions, concerns or wish to file a complaint, please contact us at
(1-866-529-0813) (TTY (303)338-3820). You also have the right to contact
the Department of Health and Human Services through the Office for Civil
Rights at 1-800-368-1019.

On behalf of Kaiser Permanente, I offer our sincerest apology that this
unfortunate incident occurred. I assure you that safeguarding your medical
information is one of our highest priorities. Thank you for your
understanding in this matter. Again, if you have any questions regarding
this incidents, please call us at (1-866-529-0813) (TTY (303)338-3820).

Very truly yours,

[signature]

Barbara Collura
Privacy and Security Officer - Colorado Region

Enclosers

---

One item was enclosed, a multiple page handout dated April 2006 offering
information and notification of privacy practice.

I called the number above at 6:55pm MST and the recording said to leave my
name and number and a member's services representative trained to answer
your questions would call me back between 5pm and 7pm.