BreachExchange mailing list archives

Data breach report stirs security pot

From: blitz <blitz () strikenet kicks-ass net>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 20:13:41 -0500

http://www.gcn.com/cgi-bin/udt/im.display.printable?client.id=gcn&story.id=42370

Data breach report stirs security pot

10/23/06
By Mary Mosquera,

Davis pushes security bill, calls for OMB to step up efforts

Now that an unflattering report detailing data loss in 19 major agencies is
public, House Government Reform chairman Tom Davis (R-Va.) is calling for
action from the administration and Congress.

The recent committee staff report revealed that some agencies were clueless
as to what happens to personal data in their care. The vast majority of data
breaches arose from physical theft of notebook PCs, drives and disks, or
from unauthorized use of data by employees, the report said.

Davis said that next he will take a closer look at agencies with the most
widespread breaches.

"I'm also intent on reaching out again to those agencies that reported few
or no incidents. I'm wondering if they simply lack the means to know if
sensitive information's been compromised," Davis said.

The Office of Management and Budget needs to act more decisively to help
agencies secure data, he added.

"OMB should begin by clarifying and strengthening their guidance," Davis
said. OMB, meanwhile, is contemplating its next move.

"We appreciate the recent input of the House Government Reform Committee and
the inspectors general. We're reviewing these two reports and will use them
to inform our thinking on potential next steps," said an OMB spokeswoman.

OMB has provided some guidance to agencies to safeguard personal information
since the May theft of a notebook PC, containing data belonging to millions
of veterans, from the home of a Veterans Affairs Department employee.

Davis plans to work with OMB to strengthen agency guidance while also
pushing through Congress legislation that makes that guidance a requirement
in addition to other steps.

The House recently passed the Veterans Identity and Credit Security Act of
2006, which includes legislation that Davis authored. The bill would
strengthen federal security requirements and provide for notification. Davis
will offer his legislation as a standalone bill if the Senate does not pass
the VA security bill when Congress returns next month, he said.

"Whether the legislation is part of the VA bill or separate, I think there's
consensus that these are steps we need to take, and take now," Davis said.
Davis worked with Veterans Affairs chairman Steve Buyer (R-Ind.) to craft
the security bill. Buyer is negotiating with the Senate on the bill, a
committee spokeswoman said.

As the committee staff report proved and VA found in its own experience, it
is important that agencies inventory all their IT systems to assess what
data is at risk and what safeguards must be imposed, Buyer said.

"Agencies need to empower the CIO with authority and responsibility to
ensure data security compliance," he said.

Following the flood of security breaches this year, Davis and ranking
Democrat Henry Waxman (D-Calif.) sought summaries from major agencies of
data breaches in the past three years to provide a governmentwide snapshot
of data risk.

Federal contractors were responsible for many of the data breaches that
agencies reported, the report said. Davis wants to reaffirm that the Federal
Information Security Management Act applies to contractors.

"If necessary, we can amend FISMA to make this even more apparent and
effective," he said.