BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: Personal experiences? Was Re: VISA / 1ST BANK

From: Fred Sleator <fsleator () earthlink net>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:24:12 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Have been an identity theft victim. Notified by some really sharp security people at Wal-Mart, of all places. Also
victimized were my mother and a trainer at my gym - common factor is that we all had accounts at the same credit union.
The pattern was the same - the perp used stolen information to open new accounts, used them minimally (with new
addresses) for a couple of months, upped the credit limit, maxed the account, and skipped. The worst issuer appears to
be Discover - they will happily let you exceed any credit limit with the expectation of hitting you with a substantial
fee, an ideal situation for a scammer.