BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: Canadian Thieves Swapping out keypad terminals

From: Al Mac <macwheel99 () sigecom net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 12:39:25 -0500

There have been intermittent incidents like this in the USA, and I can dig
up urls of stories if you desire.  I feel that phishing via e-mail, and
various attacks on poorly secured financial web sites can net crooks a lot
more loot, be more likely to be untraceable, be able to escape then open up
shop some place else.  The hardware attacks seem to be from people of more
traditional historical criminal minds, who may not yet be web-savvy.

Let's suppose a standard keypad has certain security features.
An electronics technician can probably disable those security features,
given enough time working on it covertly.

You walk into a shopping mall, and you see an ATM machine.
You assume that it is really from the bank whose name is on the box.
99% of the time you right
but there are some fraudulent machines out there.
They take your card, tell you sorry they out of money, you need to find
another ATM, but they not tell you this until you have entered your PIN #
etc.  so the fraudulent machine has your plastic info, the magnetic strip
info, your PIN #, and some place someone turns out a duplicate, then drains
your account.
This is why I only use ATM machines that are right at the actual bank.

There was one shopping mall, where it was found that someone had installed
a camera with telephoto lens in ceiling over an ATM to record what people
keyed in as the PIN#.  I not remember from that story how they got the card
data for duplicating the magnetic stripe.  It may be that there is enough
info on the face of the card to make a duplicate.

Gasoline prices have been rising in the USA
We usually stick credit card into the pump, push buttons on a keypad to
select services.  That keypad is also used by the retail outfit to adjust
the gasoline prices as needed.  Some naughty consumers have figured out how
to use the keypad to drop the pricing to free or almost free, then after
doing a fill up, leave the pricing that way for other consumers to use.s
There have been many arrests around the USA in regards to this, but the
practice is spreading.

My PC is now connected to Internet via Cable Modem.  When I was on dial up,
it was same line as my portable phone.  I could hear over the same line, a
local taxi service dispatch, and I assume they could hear my computer
signal traffic.  Wireless can be a pain to secure.  Companies with computer
professionals on staff, or computer tech support, often get this taken care
of, but your average restaurant, convenience store etc. just gets the
special phone line for the credit approval, then becomes vulnerable to
telecommunications marketers trying to sell them a cheaper phone line that
they neglect to say may be much less secure than what they now using.

Security Risks and Security Protection are like Weapons and Defenses in the
Military.  The enemy is constantly striving to come up with better weapons
to penetrate your armor, and also come up with better armor to defend
against your weapons.  It is a race.  If you are operating on technology
that was invented years ago, you are probably not secure.  Many companies
are operating on technology that was invented decades ago.

If you go into a bank, you will not find any deposit slips on the counter
for your convenience like we had years ago.  You have to get them with your
checks.  The reason for this is that there was a scam where people opened
some bank account, printed their own deposit slips that looked blank to
human eye, but had the magnetic ink deal that banks use to sort
checks.  People would go into bank, fill out deposit slip in human readable
ink, the banks computers would read the magnetic ink and deposit into the
crooks account.  Since everyone knew when the bank sent out the bank
statements, the crooks would clean out their account and skip town right
before customers piling up at bank to complain about deposits not making it
into their accounts.

Many systems have design flaws that crooks will figure out how to
exploit.  It is a never ending war, until such time that systems are
deployed that have been thoroughly tested for flaws before deployment.  But
testing is time consuming, needs special software to do it properly.  The
winner in the marketplace is the outfit that is first to come out with some
new feature more inexpensively than the competition.  Security is usually
in last place in terms of importance.

Has anyone heard any additional detail on this?  Tampering with the
keypad is *SUPPOSED* to wipe the authentication key from memory.

DEBIT CARD FRAUD PLAGUES CANADIAN RETAILERS

NEW YORK - A recent surge in debit card fraud is plaguing Canadian
retailers, reports BankNet 360.

The news source writes that debit card thieves are stealing card
terminals from gas stations, convenience stores and fast food
restaurants so they can rig the devices and swipe embedded data stored
on card magnetic strips. Thieves then switch the rigged terminals with
genuine machines, which gives them the ability to collect personal
account information from swiped debit cards, such as personal
identification numbers (PIN).

"In Ottawa and Montreal, PIN pad fraud has resulted in approximately
$6.7 million in losses during the past few months," notes the news
source.

Additionally, more than 40 retailers in Montreal have reported that
wireless Internet connections were used to remotely retrieve PINs and
card numbers from rigged card terminals. Thieves used that data to clear
out the bank accounts of approximately 18,000 debit card holders.

The news source notes that Canadians use debit cards "more than any
other country, averaging 82 million debit transactions a year."

Copyright 2006 NACS

_
NACS Daily
Subscribe:    http://www.nacsonline.com/NACS/NACSDaily/Subscribe.htm
Today's News: http://www.nacsonline.com/NACS/News/
News Archive: http://www.nacsonline.com/NACS/News/Daily_News_Archives/

This message and any files transmitted with it is intended solely for the
designated recipient and may contain privileged, proprietary or otherwise
private information. Unauthorized use, copying or distribution of this
e-mail, in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. If you have received
it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original
and any attachments.