BreachExchange mailing list archives

Bush creates task force to fight 'horror' of identity theft

From: lyger <lyger () attrition org>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 18:22:35 -0400 (EDT)

http://www.physorg.com/news66496317.html

US President George W. Bush on Wednesday announced the creation of a
top-level task force to combat what he called "horror stories" associated
with the rapidly growing crime of identity theft.

"Identity theft is a serious problem in America," the president told
reporters after meeting with victims who described to him the personal and
financial impact of such crimes.

"I have just listened to the horror stories from fellow citizens who have
had their identities stolen. I listened to their ideas about how the
federal government can help in the response, in not only dealing with
those who commit the crime but helping those who have been victimized,"
Bush said.

Identity theft, in which a person's personal and financial information is
stolen and his or her identity is assumed by another, affected some 3.6
million US households -- or about three percent of the total in the United
States -- over a six-month period in 2004, according to a US Justice
Department report issued last month.

[...]