BreachExchange mailing list archives

Purdue notifies grad students, applicants of possible security breach

From: lyger <lyger () attrition org>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:58:03 -0400 (EDT)

http://news.uns.purdue.edu/UNS/html3month/2006/060425.Smith.dataincident.html

April 26, 2006

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - Purdue University's School of Electrical and
Computer Engineering is notifying 1,351 individuals of a computer security
breach involving their Social Security numbers.

"We have determined that an unauthorized person gained electronic access
to a computer containing information belonging to current and former
graduate students, applicants to graduate school, and a small number of
applicants for undergraduate scholarships," said Mark Smith, head and
professor of the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering.

"While there is no evidence that their files have been accessed, the
potential exists. Consequently, we have sent letters notifying each of
these individuals of the incident."

The information had been entered during the past three years as part of an
application process for graduate and undergraduate programs in the School
of Electrical and Computer Engineering. The unauthorized access occurred
in February.

[...]