BreachExchange mailing list archives

New BoA info - 200,000 possibly affected

From: lyger <lyger () attrition org>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 14:56:13 -0500 (EST)

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/02/10/BUG5HH5N841.DTL

David Lazarus

Friday, February 10, 2006

A data-security breach that resulted in numerous people having their debit
cards canceled this week is actually much larger than first indicated.

As first reported in my Thursday column, an unspecified number of Bank of
America customers have received letters warning that accounts may have
been compromised "at a third-party location unrelated to Bank of America."

BofA has said only that the unnamed company is not a bank affiliate.

But well-placed sources within the banking and credit card industries now
tell me that the company in question is a leading retailer in the
office-supply business.

Those sources also place the total number of consumers affected by the
security breach at nearly 200,000.

[...]