BreachExchange mailing list archives

BCBS North Carolina

From: lyger <lyger () attrition org>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 17:52:37 -0500 (EST)

Update has been posted to http://attrition.org/errata/dataloss.html

Courtesy Emergent Chaos (emergentchaos.com):
'Human error' exposes patients' Social Security numbers in N.C.

http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/privacy/story/0,10801,108444,00.html

FEBRUARY 07, 2006  (COMPUTERWORLD)  - A "human error" at Blue Cross and
Blue Shield of North Carolina allowed the Social Security numbers of more
than 600 members to be printed on the mailing labels of envelopes sent to
them with information about a new insurance plan.

The mistake affected patients who had applied for a new health savings
account insurance plan, said Gayle Tuttle, a spokeswoman for the Chapel
Hill, N.C.-based insurer. .The mailing label on a welcome letter that we
sent out to 629 people enrolled in one of our individual insurance plans
contained an 11-digit tracking number, nine of which were the members.
Social Security numbers,. Tuttle said. .The release of this information is
the result of a regrettable human error..

[...]