BreachExchange mailing list archives

Re: Olympic Funding Chicago?

From: lyger <lyger () attrition org>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 23:55:04 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006, blitz wrote:

": " value of the drive's information. Even if it wasn't data theft, but a
": " desire to cripple the operations of the company, cause panic, loose
": " customer faith, etc. a former employee, or a competitor who knew it was
": " there would, IMHO, qualify as an "insider".

Competitors and former employees may not qualify as "insiders", even
though they may have inside knowledge regarding a company's practices.  If
that were to be the case, "corporate espionage" may be a better term and
better qualified as an "outside attack".

": " Now, couple all that, with the claim of "taking extra ordinary" measures to
": " secure that data, including the $2800 "security" software, and the alarm
": " system which mysteriously was left off that weekend, and I believe we have
": " someone with the key to the encryption, and the knowledge or ability to

I see no quoted claim of "taking extraordinary measures" in the article,
and the article plainly states that "the stolen database... had no
encryption software."