Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Economic Espionage and Regin

From: "Ottenheimer, Davi" <Davi.Ottenheimer () emc com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 18:39:06 -0500

Dave,

I would love to believe you can speak for all motives within a complex and often changing political bureaucracy.
Perhaps you are in a position to explain away concrete evidence of economic espionage by the United States and the
motives detailed by a former director of central intelligence:

(http://online.wsj.com/article/SB95326824311657269.html)

“Why, then, have we spied on you? The answer is quite apparent from the Campbell report — in the discussion of the only
two cases in which European companies have allegedly been targets of American secret intelligence collection. Of
Thomson-CSF, the report says: "The company was alleged to have bribed members of the Brazilian government selection
panel." Of Airbus, it says that we found that "Airbus agents were offering bribes to a Saudi official." These facts are
inevitably left out of European press reports.  That's right, my continental friends, we have spied on you because you
bribe. Your companies' products are often more costly, less technically advanced or both, than your American
competitors'. As a result you bribe a lot. So complicit are your governments that in several European countries bribes
still are tax-deductible.”

There are many more cases to choose from, yet few as straight-forward as this; a former official of the CIA says the
agency justified a policy of American economic espionage because of a belief in the superiority of the American
economic model. Thus economic espionage simply has to be justified somewhere within the American chain-of-command to be
authorized. Never mind the irony when America says they have used government-sponsored espionage to prove that freedom
from government interference is the best economic model. At least we know why and when it will happen, despite an
absence of evidence from AV firms.

Davi