Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Immunity's Guide to Being Mobile and Secure

From: Marco Ivaldi <raptor () mediaservice net>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 09:57:09 +0200 (ora legale Europa occidentale)

Hi Todd,

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011, Todd Haverkos wrote:

[snip]

Curious as to your thoughts, or anyone else's on whether Blackberry is
even as much of a liability to the enterprise as XP.

Just wanted to contribute a few random thoughts about BlackBerry in the
enterprise.

I agree with you on the fact that the BlackBerry Enterprise platform
provides comprehensive granular control over the handhelds and can be
configured to enable a degree of protection suitable for most
environments. In this aspect, it can be considered superior to other
smartphones (I haven't had the chance to play with Windows Phone 7 yet).

That said, in my experience as a security analyst I've verified in the
field that most BlackBerry Enterprise deployments are indeed configured in
an insecure way and are therefore vulnerable to a broad spectrum of
security attacks, such as: malware infection, remote access to the private
network (most of the time admins don't bother to separate the different
BES components on different servers, and don't apply proper ACLs in order
to prevent attacks generating from the BES itself), traffic logs stealing
(the logging of all phone calls and MDS connections is enabled by default,
and logs are stored unencrypted on disk), a range of wireless attacks
(including some attacks on WPA Enterprise PEAP-MSCHAPv2 that also affect
the iPhone and Android platforms), etc.

The bottom line is: the BlackBerry solution can be extremely robust, if
configured properly following RIM's recommendations. But in practice, it
usually represents a huge attack opportunity for a remote threat agent.
Probably even more than Windows XP, mainly because of its mobile
always-connected-to-the-private-network nature.

Cheers,

--
Marco Ivaldi                          OPSA, OPST, OWSE
Senior Security Advisor