Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Commission on Cybersecurity for the 44th Presidency and your right to cyber (security)

From: Michal Zalewski <lcamtuf () coredump cx>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 19:18:54 -0700

This is not a new idea. 18 months ago I wrote about how a Senate bill
proposed pretty much the same thing.

Yeah, I remember that one.

Between this and the continued push for "private-public partnerships"
(i.e., companies letting the government assess their
cyber-preparedness, etc), I am getting vaguely uncomfortable with the
attention the industry is getting of recent - despite the fact that
little or nothing has changed in the last 5-6 years, too.

It's not as much that I suspect the government has questionable
motives, of course; this is best left to the Slashdot crowd :P Rather,
I feel that particularly when it comes to IT, it's plagued by problems
far more profound that these plaguing the private sector. There are
reasons why they have so much difficulty hiring security talent, and
it has very little to do with any sort of a stigma associated with
govt jobs.

This particular paper, however, went pretty much unnoticed, and is
remarkable in how deeply misguided and self-contradictory it is.

/mz