Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Solutions

From: Rich Mogull <rmogull-dd () securosis com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 13:52:34 -0700

Conceptually I started seeing pieces of this pop up back when first looking at Database Activity Monitoring
technologies. Over time, I think that we are architecturally headed to something I've been calling "Application and
Database Monitoring and Protection". It's the combination of a string of technologies that run from the browser to the
DB, coordinated centrally with security analysis. I started a blog series on it a while back, but got distracted with
paying projects and never finished writing it up.

So it's a combination of what you describe, but some other pieces:

1. Browser session virtualization and instrumentation, with some defensive technologies. Kind of like Trusteer is doing.
2. Tie that up to a gateway similar to an SSL-VPN. Health checks and stronger authentication options. Gives you much
tighter control of what's in a particular browser session, but not overly effective if you don't get process separation
for the session a la Chrome.
3. WAF for some basic blocking and outside the web server monitoring. If all connections are routed through the gateway
first, the WAF would probably be integrated into the gateway. Different than using a WAF how they are generally
deployed today- more a tool for instrumentation/monitoring.
4. More instrumentation in the web app server, and web app anti-exploitation (mod, the RTE stuff Fortify is just
starting to play with that no one is buying).
5. Database activity monitoring deployed in inline mode with active blocking. Most effective is the Secerno-style
whitelisting, but the Imperva/Guardium approaches also help.
6. Something to tie all this crap together.

All these bits and pieces are out there, many deployed in limited ways, but they haven't been tied together well.
Imperva and Secerno (acquired by Oracle, and via an F5 partnership) are heading down the WAF + DAM route to better
knock out malicious SQL. Trusteer is doing the browser to gateway stuff, and there are a few custom app-level
instrumentation projects like you describe.

But pulling all this together is damn expensive and hard, and it's effectively science fiction for now. But I think
we'll get there in 5 years or so. And in a lot of ways it's just really complex whitelisting, due to the signal to
noise problems you point out. These baby steps are adding automated enforcement to the mining...