Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Exploit writing thoughts

From: "Halvar Flake" <halvar () gmx de>
Date: 7 Apr 2010 19:20:52 +0200

dave wrote:
One of the hard things about exploits (especially these days) is that
you have to absorb a LOT of failure in order to get the spectacular
results that are your bread and butter. Exploit devs have huge egos by
way of necessity and are tenacious like an Overtown pitbull, so one of
the harder parts of the job is to tell them to "give up, find another
one".
There is also often a strange tradeoff involved: You can invest more
time in finding bugs
(not only mem corruption, but also all those wacky little things that I
call "glue" bugs --
they help making the rest stick together). You do this in the hope of
being paid back this
time investment in the exploitation step.

I like to call exploit development the "IKEA game". Each weird bug that
you find is a random
piece out of IKEA's spare parts depot. Your task is to build a chair
that someone can sit on.

You can "draw" an additional piece by spending more time reading the
code. Often, you draw
a piece, and then think: Ahh great, wtf am I supposed to do with *this* ?

Sometimes, you end up with 3 coat hangers and some paper. Sometimes you get
a full chair that is just missing a leg. Sometimes you get a can of
superglue and two pounds of
sawdust.

The tenaciousness of most exploit devs is also reflected in "there is no
failure, just
a waiting loop until I get time to do another draw". You don't give up,
you pick up
something else while waiting for a good idea.

Cheers,
Halvar