Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: We hold these axioms to be self evident

From: Shane Macaulay <shane () security-objectives com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 17:30:51 -0800

Very cool/deeply technical stuff from Travis as expected.  It also does
a good job at taking out VirtualBox when running under a 64bit Windows
guest (Was testing in a VM since no x86 in 64 bit Windows 7 any more
:\).  I didn't look at any other VM but am guessing it would be a DoS
also, probably a VM escape.  I would of thought he tested VM's ?

I forget what VMWare version (circa 2002-3), but this reminds me of a
bug that you could trigger along the lines of;

echo "THIS IS NOT A VALID EXECUTABLE FILE!!!!" > invalid.com
(might of been invalid .exe)

Inside of a VMWare on Windows 2000, then from command.com (or cmd.exe
long time ago), you try to run it.  You'd get to see your system
go-critical via crashing out the vm guest/vmware/host OS and resulted in
a blue screen.

Even thinking of where to begin to debug that mess seemed too insane, I
guess Travis has a few good analysis tricks, from his post on full-disc
and code regarding the forged trap frame is very interesting.

I also was reminded of a post I had read,
http://x86asm.net/articles/calling-bios-from-driver-in-windows-xp-x64/index.html,
I wonder if their are any exposed VDM facilities under 64 bit versions
which would allow you to exploit this hole on those platforms.

Also makes me think when (maybe has happened already) somebody will
exploit those CPU errata flaws Theo was talking about.
--
Shane