Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Exploits matter.

From: vincent hinderer <vhinderer () lexsi com>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 22:30:58 +0200

While I understand the challenge of verifying the existence and nature of
commercial exploitation tools, down playing exploits by databases like OSVDB
is damaging to the industry and is creating a false sense of security amongst
organizations - especially those who charge their security programs to vanilla
CISSP's. Case in point - large company runs an automated scanner over their
network on a monthly basis, which regularly finds flaws. They prioritize
remediation of findings based on CVSS scores, which have been calculated in
part through utilizing data from OSVDB. Days, months, weeks later the
organization is attacked/audited by a group who paid/stole/borrowed a copy of
Canvas/Core/et al. Organization gets owned.

I agree. Working these days on patching a 2003 (!) flaw...

The past two VzB data breach reports have demonstrated a trend, that a large
number of compromises (around 70% if memory serves), resulted from
exploitation of vulnerabilities that at time of compromise had been patched by
the vendor for a year or more. I'm not sure how you would go about obtaining
this kind of data (or indeed how VzB gets their data), but it would be an
interesting metric to see how many of those known/vendor-patched issues had
been neglected/de-prioritized due to misconceptions about their level of
exploitability.

In Verizon report :
patch availability at time of attack
-between 0,5 to 1 year = 1
-for more than 1 year =  5 (83%)
Total of attacks = 6

A relatively small set to draw conclusions though...