Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Staying on the treadmill.

From: "Halvar Flake" <halvar () gmx de>
Date: 16 Jul 2009 00:23:33 +0200

In order to continue my tradition of mostly nonsensical posts:

Joanna wrote:
No! I highly respect all the people who demonstrated how different things are
possible. When you show an exploit that attacks things that have never been
attacked before, it is extremely useful. Remember Solar Designer's JPEG Netscape
 *first* public heap overflow? Now, that's what matters.

But coming up with yet-another-one client-side exploit for Browser/PDF
viewer/etc usually is meaningless. We have seen enough such exploits to
understand that currently used mitigations do not work (apps code audit, apps
fuzzing, ASLR, NX), and that we should assume any desktop application that takes
untrusted input can be exploited. And we need to address the problem in a
different way, with the assumption that even some applications on my desktops
gets compromised that others still work. Today's OSes do not provide this feature.

I wholeheartedly agree. It has long been my (and my employers) position
that there are way too many presentations of exploitation techniques. I
therefore propose that we alter this years' Blackhat schedule as follows:
 - Remove the John McDonald / Chris Valasek talk
 - Remove FX's talk
 - Remove the Dowd/Smith/Dewey talk
 - Remove Kostya's talk

Instead, I think we should substitute at least two of these with fundamental
talks about trusted computing, one with a talk about homomorphic encryption,
on smartcards and one with a talk about visual spoofing. I would like some
songs, too. And *plenty* of architecture diagrams please, perhaps with a
security proof thrown in.

:-P
It was joked away, because we are not paid for having fun, but for (trying) to
solve the actual problems our customers might have. I'm yet to find a company
that would be advertising their services as "hire us, so *we* could have some
fun". Have you seen one? Halvar's maybe? Or is it rather "hire us, we will help
you *solve* your problems?"

I would prefer to advertise: "You might have some problems that we would
have a ton of fun with. If you make sure we don't starve while having
fun with
these problems, we'll do an excellent job -- we love our work, and take
pride in
it. Would you prefer to hire someone that likes his work, or someone
that gets
paid to pretend to like it ?"

:-)

Holy crap, where has the lightheartedness gone ? Could we *please* all
quit taking
ourselves quite so seriously ?

I am looking forwards to seeing y'all in Vegas in 10 days.

Cheers,
Halvar