Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Dep and aslr and /gs and so on

From: Trygve Aasheim <trygve () pogostick net>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 11:28:41 +0100

You think so?   :)

History has proven that new challenges and obstacles are what brings the
younger generation into play. When the rules change, and the old farts
can't keep up because they have to totally change their approach to the
problem at hand, the young guns enter the scene.

The average age of an engineer in the Apollo program was 23...and they
managed to put a man on the moon, even if there was a whole bunch of
rocket scientist of the old school that thought it would be impossible.

So it might not be easy, and there might not be as many dirty hacks and
cheap tricks - making it harder to enter the game. But I think we'll see
a change again like we did with Aleph One, XSS, js etc, and the kids
that master the new scene will come.

Just wait and see.

(amen)

;)

Ralf-Philipp Weinmann skrev:
Hi Dave,

you're right there. If you tell people in our community something's
impossible to break, it definitely will be broken. Lars Knudsen's quote
about cryptology can be weakened and transferred to information security
in general: "If something is provably secure, it's probably not."

Nonetheless, what I really don't like about this inflation is that it'll
prevent new kids from entering the game as easily as we did. My fear is
that in a couple of years it's gonna be just us olpharts (excuse the
pun) who have the nice exploits.

Cheers,
.:ralf:.

    On Mar 26, 2009 7:36 PM, "Dave Aitel" <dave.aitel () gmail com