Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Faster, smashter. (fwd)

From: "Jon Passki" <jon.passki () hursk com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 16:59:21 +0900

Yeah, but I would not be the one to figure out the value.  I would ask
Immunity Sec if they had an exploit on ManOS that gave me, for example,
local root access accessible from any user.  If Immunity Sec did confirm a
0day that met my criteria, the next question is then asking them what my
cost would be for the 0day.  I now have a ceiling cost, even though the cost
may be hugely inflated.  I may never care whatsoever on purchasing that 0day
from Immunity Sec.  Also, they might not like me and change me a higher cost
than someone else.  If I have more oracles to contact, then I can gauge a
better market value.

Yes, there are details, with whatever devils hiding in there.  There is also
some nice properties, but with risk..  Immunity Sec need not expose the
actual 0day.  There's risk they may lie to me, though.  The only exposure is
that a set of given properties on some exploit may be publicly disclosed.
From Immutiy Sec's perspecitve, though, they now can analysis the number of
queries across vendors and applications and see what the "public" cares
about.  Maybe 13% of all queries relate to some version of WebSphere on AIX
5.4 (shudder). They now have market intellegence that may drive research and
development into platforms not perceived to be viable.  So, that
intelligence may definitely out weight the loss of size of their "market
cap" on exploits.  Other devils are in classifications.  But, seriously,
that's something I could see reasonably being taken care of overtime for
most general exploits.  Sure, some just won't be able to be classified.  So
what if a vast majority can.  Perfection, enemy, good, blah blah blah.