Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Immunity Certified Network Offense Professional

From: "Thomas Ptacek" <tqbf () matasano com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 20:47:15 -0500

Then they'd fail. There's no excuse for not being able to write a simple
 Windows stack overflow in this day and age. I don't see this part as a
 problem. Even web attackers need to know how to do that.

Web attackers do not need to know how to write stack overflows, Dave.
If you can code, you don't even need to know how to write stack
overflows to pen-test shrink wrap software.

Two observations, which I can make because our team can obviously
throw down the archaic exploit writing skills:

- In the commercial market, the ability to find vulnerabilities
commands a far higher price than the ability to write exploits. This
isn't opinion; it's simply empirical. People who actually write
exploits all day tend to work for vendors. A majority of consultants
can't.

- Most of the game-over vulnerabilities we find aren't code injection
anymore. You're proposing a metric that could fail someone who can do
DH parameter tampering, because they don't know the X86 Windows system
call gate.

 It is hard, of course, to isolate a hands on test from the tools you
 have to use to do that test. VisualSploit and Immunity Debugger are
 really easy to use, but if you are only capable of using WinDBG then you
 might fail as well. In that case, you'd need to learn how to pick up new
 tools faster. We'll have an instruction book available at the table. :>

 - -dave

--
---
Thomas H. Ptacek // matasano security