Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: The audacity of thinking you're not owned

From: Parity <pty.err () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 21:03:53 +0200

My totally uninformed speculation is worth way less than $0.02, but -

Dan says he discovered the attack by accident.  Mapping a sequence of TXID's
into a rainbow table is not something one does on a whim.  Moreover, if the
attack you just proposed works against TXID's, then it ought to just as
likely work against source ports as well.

For my money, if he says he discovered it by accident, then Dan means to say
that he was looking at a graph of some sort at the time.

pty

So here's what I think the exploit is, which is a slightly advanced
method of some of Amit's stuff. I'm not a DNS  (or crypto, for that
matter) expert, so feel free to fill me in on where I'm missing stuff.

1. You can use the TTL to find out when to do your spoofing.
2. Use your own DNS to respond to some requests setting TTL=0 to get a
long list of TXIDs from the resolver.
3. Map this list of TXIDs into an internal RNG state using a rainbow
table. This lets you predict the next set of TXID's with just a hash
lookup.
4. Make a request for mail.google.com and send your spoofed packets to
infect the cache.

- -dave
P.S.: Kudos to the thousand people who posted about MOV RAX, RAX.