Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: German/Afghanistan Trojan Horse Affair

From: wishi <brouce () gmx net>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 20:15:46 +0200

Halvar Flake schrieb:

The entire situation is hilarious, as Mrs. Merkel criticized the chinese
for having sponsored hacking sprees into German government institutions
last year - I guess she is not overly happy about all this stuff hitting
the press now.
(http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article2332130.ece)

It's more than hilarious: Germany's home secretary's idea is to develop
  a "Federal Remote Trojan" to gather information for "possible
terrorists". I'm German.

Possible = everyone. A kind of crazy idea, but it's there. This
government declares officially, that there're other countries like
China, that could sell those softwares. In fact China seems to be the
home secretary's ideal idea of government.
(more information:
http://www.vorratsdatenspeicherung.de/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/lang,en/)

Anyhow, if anyone happens to stumble across the particular software used
in this case, I think it would make for a terribly interesting weekend
of reverse engineering -- I am terribly nosy to what sort of stuff the
tool was capable of :)

http://www.era-it.ch/

I'm not sure right now. But I think that the idea of copyright protected
Malware rose because of the fact, that there're now buyers like
governments, which seek these instruments and pay.
If somebody finds such a piece of code... let me know, too.

Greetings from Germany,
wishi