Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: VPC

From: Jared DeMott <demottja () msu edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:01:04 -0500

Dave Aitel wrote:
So in the Microsoft/Immunity/iSec Defend the Flag class here at BlackHat
Federal, I learned the hard way that VPC moves memory all around and
your previously great universal addresses don't work. So you'll end up
trying really hard to find an address that defeats SafeSEH on 2003 SP0
in 15 minutes or less.

Also I notice there are a lot of companies doing automated Incident
Response or malware analysis now.

Zynamic's VxClass is obviously one of my favorites.
HBGary has retooled Inspector into a tool ("Responder") that can read
and analyze physical memory dumps.
Mandiant has their new tool out.
Norman had a softice-looking sandbox-like thing on display.
There's another one called CWSandbox that has a free web form you can
send exe's to.
Actually Norman and CW both have a web interface.  However, I believe CW
to be a bit better -- based on one case study of newer malware.  I just
did some research and wrote a paper/created slides for a talk I'm giving
at a local west Michigan sec group.  I put the slides up on my site if
anyone would like to take a peek:
http://www.vdalabs.com/tools/malware.html

I'm relatively new to the malware scene, so I'd appreciate constructive
feedback.
Cheers,
Jared