Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Semi-anonymized moderation.

From: "Stephen John Smoogen" <smooge () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:13:35 -0700

On Jan 28, 2008 1:30 PM, Mark Loveless <mloveless () autonomic-networks com> wrote:

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 09:39:17AM -0500, Someone other than
Dave Aitel wrote:
Every time I hear the argument that some level of security,
even lame
security, is better than NO security, I think about my Zappa
paraphrasing. In my opinion, lame security is WORSE than no
security,
simply because most of the people involved (think CxO/pointy-haired
boss
types) live with a sense that they are being protected,
when in fact
they are not. The ones with no protection are not living a
lie -- they
are at least AWARE they really have no security.

Really?  I know this has been said before.  Horse, baseball
bat, applying.

Your house still has doors with locks, yet your windows are
still trivial to break, bypassing the locks.  Go ahead,
remove the locks on the doors because obviously, you are
better off without it.

Oh, no windows?  Got siding & drywall house, like most of America?
I can cut a new enterance in most houses in minutes, thanks
to my trusty sawzall.

I know, lets live in brick hosues and hire armed guards to
not allow enterance and exit of those that someone deams
should not be allwowed in or out.

Have fun living in a jail.

Me, I'll live with my minor increases in security, as I
improve where I can, what I can.

I actually agree with you 100% on houses. However I was referring to
computers... ;-)

Here is the main reason the house argument doesn't work. I cannot postal
mail you a letter or a package that creates a hidden backdoor into your
house that only I have the key to. Sure maybe if I mailed you a bomb, I
could create a crude opening in your house, but it would hardly be
secret or hidden.

Actually I would use this analogy as extension. You know that the
housekeeper has a vulnerability and you mail her a set of photos of
her with the Labrador to get yourself into the house. In this case,
the owner could be backdoored by his help, but because this
possibility exists does not mean you remove the locks on your door.
You just have to make a risk analysis of how much background checking
you need to do on the people who have access to the house.