Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: confirming it's a person

From: "David Molnar" <dmolnar () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:30:02 -0700

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 9:31 PM, Agutin Gianni <agustingianni () gmail com>
wrote:

I think we have already discussed this topic, and someone said we could
use pictures of cats and other animals and ask the user to count the
number of cats on the photos.

Microsoft is working on this, it looks promising.

http://research.microsoft.com/asirra/

As cool as ASIRRA is, and as awesome as it is that they help find homes for
pets, it is more or less "a better CAPTCHA." I took the original post as a
request for a manual for bot-detection techniques in addition to CAPTCHAs. I
don't know of anything in one place on this topic, although I can think of
things like Bayesian filters for the spam application as maybe a place to
start.

Incidentally, this paper just showed up on eprint.iacr.org . The author
claims an automatic classifier between cats and dogs that can pass a
12-image ASIRRA challenge 10.3% of the time:

Machine Learning Attacks Against the ASIRRA CAPTCHA
Philippe Golle
http://eprint.iacr.org/2008/126

-David Molnar