Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: WCF SSL Validation

From: Rodney Thayer <rodney () tsc-labs net>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 07:45:29 -0800

Dave Aitel wrote:
So I'm doing an application assessment of a .Net 3.0 app ...

Also the WCF .Net API does not treat
certificates the same way that IE7 does. You can have a certificate
imported into IE and then browse nicely through SPIKE Proxy but still
have WCF requests fail with SSL validation errors. This is a pain but
there's no way to bypass it that I can figure out.

I thought they were both bolted into the Crypto API certificate store.
Of course, they probably have asymmetric certificate validation callback
processing.  Have you tried CRL's or OCSP?  Hell, if it's really doing
certificate processing, a modern CAPI would probably have hooks
to do extended key usage (baroque exotic certificate option) processing
and that too could be asymmetric.

It's nice to see that certificate processing crosses your radar.  It
deserves your level of attention.

Today the plan is to bypass the need for SSL MITM by using Immunity
Debugger to hook the http request API and modify it on the fly the way
JMS usually does.

Very cool.  I hate it when people treat SSL as a cryptographic codpiece
rather than defending the underlying technology.