Dailydave mailing list archives

Use of AppArmor

From: "Kevin Noble" <knoble () terremark com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:07:35 -0400

AppArmor seems to work best with anything routine like protecting SFTP, SSH and other services. I admit that that it is
ideal for lazy admins but once I understood how to use the tool, it became a early warning sysem and can tell you quite
a bit about what an app needs to function, mostly through the  update profile wizard. Once you have applications
profiled into production, it can tell you about anything strange.  On the frontier side you will observe apparmor
events for anything unhandled.  It will tell you about any new and strange permissions you need for firefox for example
when visiting questionable sites. You can use it as a very terrible tool for profiling malware strictly looking at
permissions and limiting those permissions during execution.

A talk at blackhat confirmed that there is far more granular control, more then I care about a the moment.

-KNoble
Terremark