Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: "Chinese is like Unix"

From: "Benny Tsai" <benny.tsai () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 19:47:53 -0500

If the Chinese phrase for "hacker" is what I think it is (did it sound
like "Hei ke"?), not only did they find words that match "hacker" in
meaning, but they also sound quite close to the English word.  Usually
you have to pick between getting close in meaning or sound, so it's
cool to get both in this instance.  Another nice one is the Chinese
word for Coca Cola, which sounds close to the English term and has a
meaning roughly equal to "delicious happiness" :)