Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Myth: The US is more vulnerable to information warfare because it is more reliant on information technology

From: "Timothy R. Chavez" <tim.chavez () linux vnet ibm com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 13:08:06 -0500

So what about attacks _with_ information?  I think the US would be more
susceptible to information warfare attacks, in this regard, if it were
more reliant on _homogeneous_ sources of information. Neil Stephenson
brings up a good point in his book Cryptinomicon that even when the
British cracked the Enigma code, they still had to constantly ask
themselves if the Nazis knew they knew and if not, how they could
effectively use the information they intercepted without giving
themselves away.  For the defender of this information, integrity of
the technology carrying it is of utmost importance, for the attacker of
this information, integrity of the information, itself, is of utmost
importance.  So I'd argue, if anything, that by meddling with the
affairs of others, we make ourselves more susceptible :)

-tim

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 16:53:48 -0400