Dailydave mailing list archives

Education or Stock Price?

From: Paul Wouters <paul () xelerance com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 12:44:05 -0400 (EDT)

I've become very frustrated with all the (new and old) security conferences
that are only an excuse to hit the media with a 0day in the hopes to sell
a product or raise the organisers stock price, instead of focussing on
structural security improvements.

I was asked to speak at Infosecurity Canada. Their registration email
contains:

<!-- saved from url=(0093)file://C:Documents and SettingsHubalJLocal
SettingsTemporary Internet FilesOLK2CEM9.htm -->
<HTML xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"; xmlns:v =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"><HEAD><TITLE>Infosecurity Canada -
June 12-14, 2007</TITLE>

If people (or in this case, I guess Mrs Hubal) from the security
conference itself blindly copy & pastes material from urls into their emails
without checking the content, how are they capable of teaching people
anything?

Really, just admit that it's a sales show and not an educational event.

No, I don't have a sexy exploit to raise your stock price.

And as a sidenote, I do look forward to the day it becomes known w3.org
has been compromised and all email of certain vendors are spreading viri
with their DTD's.

Paul