Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Some Sums

From: Ari Takanen <ari.takanen () codenomicon com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 22:41:44 +0200

Hello Olef,

Sorry did not notice this comment earlier. Sounds like an interesting
challenge, but there are few problems withy the setup. Firstly, our
tool does not run for 2 weeks (it takes less than few hours to test
the MS Exchange). This is because we do not do random (or any form of
non-deterministic) testing. Secondly, we are fully no-disclosure
company, and refuse to disclose flaws in commercial software (and our
customers appreciate this). We are not in the blackmailing
business... Open source would be free target though (my personal
opinion, not our company opinion). Thirdly, we do not build exploits
like Dave already pointed out earlier, again from ethical reasons (and
because nobody has ever asked us to develop exploits for the found
flaws even if building the exploit would be easy). And last note, we
would have no use nor interest for your exploit, nor would we want to
even see it due to the related liability issues.

So I am sorry I have to decline the offer. You are free to continue
hunting for your fame and glory from the remote exploits. I wish you
good luck in the hunt! And I will shut up about our products as I
definitely do not even want you to get these tools in your hand. ;)

I hope you had a chance to visit us at RSA! We are constantly looking
for skilled people who wish to start doing more proactive work in
security.

/Ari

PS: Yes we have some VC funding (from early 2005), but most of our
money comes from customers, not from VC:s. And we do not throw our
money away like some other VC funded companies might appear to be
doing. We have existed since 2001, and released our first commercial
fuzzing tools in 2002.