Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Vista speach recognition

From: "Ken Buchanan" <ken.buchanan () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 14:07:54 -0500

From MS:
"Of course this would be heard and the actions taken would be visible
to the user if they were in front of the PC during the attempted
exploitation."

Bah.  I bet some degree of stealth could be worked into this if
someone tried hard enough.  The most obvious method won't work:
emitting sound outside the range of human hearing.  The intersection
of the sets of frequencies that a normal microphone will detect, a
normal speaker will emit, and human ears won't detect is null.

There are other avenues that would have to be explored experimentally.
 How much can you speed up or slow down the words and the recognition
still work?  What about overlaying the commands on music?  Can we take
advantage of psychoacoustics to disguise some of the phonemes, so an
unalert user might not notice their presence?

I just wouldn't assume this is inherently non-stealthy.

- Ken